[About] [News] [Research] [Projects] [Behold, my stuff!]
My name is Sam Stevens. I’m a Ph.D. student at THE Ohio State University, where I work in computer science, specifically in natural language processing, with my advisor Prof. Yu Su. I finished my Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science at Ohio State in May 2021 (and minored in German).
I’ve been lucky to intern at SpaceX in Seattle, intern at Microsoft remotely, study abroad in Dresden and intern at GE Aviation (twice) in Cincinnati.
I also previously worked on TicketBay with Salty Software and HealthyAgers with Dr Ruchika Prakash.
- 01/2022: I traveled with the Imageomics crew to Kenya for three
weeks to broaden my understanding of science and gather data for future
- 06/2022: OSU placed 3rd in Amazon’s Alexa TaskBot competition (as team TacoBot)! This is the first ever TaskBot competition; it was a fantastic experience working with applied NLP in such a competitive environment. More coverage here and here. Check out our website for more information!
- 11/2021: Placed 4th at Hack OHI/O (as team “Killer Food Robots”) with an app to find the optimal trick-or-treating route Umar Jara and with two first time hackers, Blake Morse and Sam Latshaw!
- 08/2021: Paper on pre-trained language model interpretability accepted to the EMNLP 2021 workshop BlackboxNLP!
- 05/2021: Internship at SpaceX in Seattle, working on the Starlink team!
- 11/2020: Won Best UI/UX
and Buckeye’s Choice Awards at Hack OHI/O (as team
//todo) with an app to convert voice to code using BART, a custom natural language to code neural model and a gorgeous React app by Garrett Morse. Video demo here.
- 05/2020: Internship at Microsoft (remotely)! Working on the Power BI team.
- 11/2019: Won Hack OHI/O for the 2nd time with an app to make text more accessible with OCR and text-to-speech.
- 06/2019: Starting study abroad program in Dresden, Germany!
- 05/2019: Awarded the Huntington International Fellowship!
- 04/2019: Honorable mention for best visualization at DataFest 2019!
- 01/2019: College of Engineering published an article about TicketBay!
- 05/2018: Internship at GE Aviation! Working in GE Digital on end-to-end testing frameworks.
- 11/2017: Won Hack OHI/O with an app to define and show examples of trending terms on the Internet.
- 06/2017: Internship at GE Aviation through Cincinnati’s INTERAlliance program.
An Investigation of Language Model Interpretability via Sentence Editing Samuel Stevens, Yu Su. (EMNLP BlackboxNLP 2021.) [paper] [code]
Bootstrapping a User-Centered Task-Oriented Dialogue System Shijie Chen, Ziru Chen, Xiang Deng, Ash Lewis, Lingbo Mo, Samuel Stevens, Zhen Wang, Xiang Yue, Tianshu Zhang, Yu Su, Huan Sun. (Arxiv Preprint) [paper] [website]
Quiet HN: a simple Hacker News site, remade in the style of the original Quiet Hacker News (no longer active).
img-alter: a program
alt attributes to
using MS Azure. (June 2020)
ubscrape: an Urban
Dictionary scraper I built aimed at NLP research. (November
Airpods: a macOS app I published to connect/disconnect from your Airpods quickly. (September 2020)
HealthyAgers: a fullstack web application that I led the development of at Ohio State University. (June 2018 - Oct 2019)
TicketBay: fellow OSU students and I developed a mobile app for Ohio State University students to sell second-hand football tickets. (Jan 2018 - Jan 2020)
Behold, My STUFF!
Social media is a problem. This website gives me a creative outlet without the pressure of likes, comments or retweets.
This website is my personal website. I’m not a person who takes myself very seriously. So this website doesn’t take itself very seriously either. It’s my stuff, not my CV.
[Relevant link] [Source]
Sam Stevens, 2022